Gemma’s Saturday skirt set.
How are you all doing? Well I hope!
My blog post today is all about the Saturday Skirt set by Friday Pattern company.
When I saw this fabric, I thought it would make an amazing versatile version of this pattern.
I feel like I have quite a workhorse wardrobe and I would definitely say I need more casual pieces than I do “dressy” pieces as I like to wear them for every day use. This pattern is kind of a bit of both, as the top looks quite fancy but the skirt more every day.
The skirt sewed up super quickly and was an enjoyable sew. It’s quite simple, with a flat waistband at the front and some elastic at the back. It also has pockets (yay!). I would say you possibly need to stabilise the pockets if using such a drapey fabric (I don’t think this was stated in the instructions) – mine do flop a little bit but it’s not too much of a problem.
The top on the other hand I found quite confusing. I re-read the instructions several times (and maybe I’m still missing something) but I just couldn’t work out how the facing on the front bodice doesn’t leave a raw edge at the bottom! In the end I made up how to finish it! Please let me know how to do this if you’ve made it before 😊
I also found that the back neck facing was far too large and didn’t fit well.
I’m not really keen on how the tie is in two pieces due to there being an extended front piece on the bodice – I feel like the join doesn’t look very neat, and yes it’s probably how I’ve sewn it, but I think it would look better if the join was hidden.
I sewed up a size medium top and skirt, and it fits my measurements really well (B:37), (W:32), (H:42). I did size down approx 1 size (slightly more at hips) as the pattern has a lot of ease.
The one alteration I made was to shorten the sleeves – I felt like it wouldn’t get as much wear if it was long sleeved, as I can always layer it up if needed. I cut it off at elbow length and just measured up the elastic needed for the sleeve against myself.
So on to the fabric…I made this project in a viscose chambray. This has to be one of the softest fabrics I’ve ever felt! Honestly, it is so soft!
I used a microtex needle and still spotted a few “runs” in the fabric which were probably from my pins, so make sure you use really sharp ones!
The fabric does like to fray a bit if you handle it too much, and I found it quite hard to unpick as well (I had to unpick 3x on the top which was not fun!).
It does have a beautiful drape which is perfect for this pattern pairing!
I really hope you like what I’ve made and despite the few issues I highlighted, I think the project has turned out really well.
Thanks so much for reading and I’ll be back again soon!
Gemma (@thedalythread) x